Sat, Nov 02|
Putney Moves Yoga & Wellness Center
Compassion Fatigue: Caring for the Caregiver
Time & Location
Nov 02, 2019, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Putney Moves Yoga & Wellness Center, 133 Main St 2nd Floor, Putney, VT 05346, USA
About the event
Compassion fatigue. Caregiver burnout. Empathic Strain. It may go by many names, but there is one common thread: caring for others on a long term basis can create an environment of personal neglect which adversely affects our personal wellbeing and thus our ability to continue to give quality care.
Many caregivers find themselves habitually putting put the needs of their charge before their own. Noble in gesture, long term caring from this place can lead to burnout, physical pain, emotional exhaustion, irritability, isolation, insomnia, and secondary trauma amongst many other complications.
Did you choose to work in a caretaking role, as a teacher, animal care provider, or as a member of a support team for caretakers and are finding yourself disconnected from the passion that brought you there? Are you a family caretaker supporting children and/or adults with specific needs and find yourself irritable, frustrated, lonely, or depressed more often than normal?
This workshop is geared to help caretakers:
- Define burnout, compassion fatigue, and secondary trauma
- Assess and identify personal burnout and compassion fatigue
- Learn the different stages of compassion fatigue to better prevent and manage burnout
- Strategize incorporating the beneficial practices of yoga, meditation, and energy work to help manage symptoms and burnout
- Increase self awareness and empower energizing and relaxation techniques
- Begins with an opening meditation, overview, and introduction
- Varies between lecture, discussion, and mini movement practices
- Holds space for reflection and integration
- Is accessible to all level of practitioners, even absolute beginners
- Invites wearing loose, comfortable clothing and bringing a notebook, water, and a snack
- Includes handouts with material and information
- Will have chairs for those wishing to be seated off the floor
- Is not intended for parents solely looking to manage the stress of raising children
About Sher: Sher specializes in working with those who navigate managing trauma, mental health, traumatic brain injuries, developmental challenges, are on the Autism spectrum and/or have medical/mobility issues that impact day to day life. She has worked in non-profit human services agencies for over 20 years providing compassion fatigue trainings for staff amongst other roles and responsibilities. Sher uses the practices of movement, meditation, and vibration and draws from her trainings in Prana Vinyasa (a slow flow yet dynamic practice), Restorative, Trauma Informed, and Yin yoga to guide students in their exploration of embodiment, empowerment and relaxation. Sher lovingly brings Compassion Fatigue Training to the community of Putney Moves in hopes of raising awareness and empowering caretakers to find support and relief from caregiver burnout.
Cost: Early Bird Registration through November 1st: $40.00 Day of Registration: $45.00 Members Save 10%